All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pride (A Deeper Love)

So in addition to having my (our) home featured in another blog, Alice In Designland, I had another reason to be proud this past weekend (which is also why I'm so late this week): LGBT Pride took place in San Francisco on Sunday AND the New York state senate voted for marriage equality on Friday. Needless to say, I was busy partying up a storm!

For those who haven't been, the LGBT Pride Parade is pretty big, and the floats are awesome. Living in the heart of it all, I heard snippets of conversation from such a diverse group of people: French, German, Spanish, and even some Nordic and Eastern European languages too. Of course the ones that hit home were from those who came from other parts of the Bay Area/region/state/country. Walking through the street fair and celebrations, I heard someone say, "Wow, look at all this! It's amazing!" It was a reminder that I take so much for granted.

Now back to design! Like production design (those hardworking folks who create realistic movie/TV/photo sets), float design is something I totally respect because it's not something I do. Here's one of my favorites from the parade, for foster parents and youth:



(Photos from SFGate.com)

It really takes talent to design and build something so temporary that also needs to grab your attention. They did a great job. I know when I worked for a large sponsor of the parade, we were lucky enough to get a truck covered in some balloons...

Next week, I'm back to the interiors!

No comments: