All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

How am I gonna be an optimist about this?

Happy new year, everyone! Hope your holidays were full of merriment, reflection, relaxation, or some combination of all three. That's how I've spent this last week starting all my emails to vendors, clients, and work friends at Ye Olde Dayjobbe, and the wishes and sentiment is sincere. All my Bob Cratchit sadness and fatigue went away with the start of the New Year.

I didn't have any major resolutions, but last week I started to see all the things I've missed out on over the past few months of working so hard, so I reached out to see if I was too late to scoop up some things I've been wanting for quite some time. It's been with one eye toward a new home--perhaps for retirement, but definitely to buy and be able to fix up. Location unknown. What I do know is how I want to fill it with the following things that have been discontinued:

1) A BassamFellows daybed for McGuire - I should have known it was my last chance when I saw it on One Kings Lane a while ago...my contacts at McGuire have told me the brass and walnut version I love is gone, gone, gone...I really want the walnut one--I don't think I can settle for rattan (which McGuire still has a few of.)


2) A metal cat door knocker like this. I saw one on One Kings Lane and eBay recently and lost out on both. Someday...! (And yes, I will always be a crazy cat person. Even if we end up with a little pooch friend.)


3) A pair of Lubna Chowdhary cracked teal tile lamps for West Elm. These would look perfect in our future Palm Springs bedroom. I was a fool to not act faster!


Have you got any leads? I keep checking eBay and consignment stores...I'm desperate!

I guess part of the New Year is about focusing on me (us) and my future with my partner. It's funny and I feel kind of silly for being so materialistic and focusing on "things" (even though it's part of my job.) I guess it's because we just saw the comedy "This Is The End" last night about the apocalypse and it made me feel bad about coveting things and placing so much importance on material goods...but just as I was getting down I also realized that we've got to live for the present, and having a pleasant home can really help create a refuge or retreat from all the daily dramas and catastrophes that hit us.

I'll keep you posted on how things go this year. I'm looking forward to the adventure!

No comments: